This morning we woke up to overcast skies. Then, lo and behold, we saw a few downright dark gray clouds! I’ve seen fleeting stints of rain about 3 times in the two years we’ve lived in Dubai. But today is different because it’s well into the evening and it’s still dark and drizzly. What a treat! We very nearly forgot what that invigorating pre-rain breeze feels like, how damp grass smells, the crackling, sometimes intimidating sound of thunder. It’s comforting to be reminded of these things again.
5 take-aways from a rare rainy day in Dubai:
- Being liberated from your sunglasses for one day is nice.
- You thought drivers in Dubai couldn’t get any more dangerous or idiotic until you throw in a little rain and slight flooding. It’s reminiscent of Houston drivers navigating icy conditions.
- You’re reminded that umbrellas have another use besides acting as a shield from skin-baking heat.
- You notice for the first time the tiny little “gutters” that line major streets and how ill-equipped they are to keep up with even a little rain. Case in point, this photo was taken this morning after some sprinkling and about 15 minutes of real rain.
5. It’s probably a good idea to have your windshield wipers checked every once in a while. It’s likely the blades have been scorched into a crumbly blade of inefficiency since last time you used them.
Excuse me while I climb back into bed or watch movies curled up on the couch. Have a great weekend everyone!